An MSA unit blog



An academic blog of the msa under unit guidance from Magda Sibley, Griff Evans and Isabelle Doucet.

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Remediating the River_Sam Morris

The city of Fez is located within one of Morocco’s most fertile valleys, the Medina is crossed by several watercourses and is well known for its hydraulic potential. Data reveals that the River Fez is relatively clean before reaching the medina and that contamination emerges from within. Given the importance of the Sebou river basin to Morocco’s agricultural sector and its overall economy, it is imperative that contamination be reduced at its source and strategies for remediation be implemented.






Remediating the River is an urban strategy incorporating a high-tech water filtration system that can be implemented at selected sites throughout the Medina aimed at resuscitating the water network.









The design proposal at Place Lalla Yeddouna captures, stores and filters contaminated river water for use in the immediate context. The water is filtered through a series of capillary tubes in the exterior surface geometry where it is treated with UV light.




2 comments:

  1. Hi, Do you have any additional images or information on your project? I am also doing a project on the ancient city of Fes but for my university degree. My project aims to address housing issues and efficient use of space in the confined city rather than improvements to the water systems. I would greatly appreciate help from your suggestions. If you get this message, add me on Facebook: Amber McLeggan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't realise it would link to my Google account. I've never used blogspot before. I guess you could just message me through that lol

    ReplyDelete

Please comment on the post above, all comments are mediated.